Matt Clayson for MSU Trustee
Matt Clayson is a civic and business leader dedicated to advancing a more prosperous future for Michigan and its citizens; he is a reformer and accomplished civic leader who is seeking the Democratic Party’s nomination for MSU Trustee.
Matt has worked to bring thousands of jobs and millions of dollars of investment to Michigan and Detroit, expanded Michigan’s investment in early childhood education and furthered initiatives to keep higher education affordable and accessible to all.
Matt is running for MSU Trustee to lead a movement that returns Michigan’s largest university back to its citizens, restoring its integrity and commitment to offering a world-class, affordable education for all. Matt is an accomplished corporate leader who leads by prioritizing people and community.
Matt Clayson’s career spans:
- Corporate management,
- Community development, and
- Civic leadership.
He is the chief legal officer of an Inc. 5000 automotive digital media company that is among the nation’s largest developers of online car shopping software.
Matt has worked in various legal, management and leadership roles to grow successful, Michigan-based start-ups HelloWorld (formerly, ePrize), Shinola and 1-800-CARSHOW.
He launched and led a joint venture between Business Leaders for Michigan and the College for Creative Studies to grow the innovation economy in Detroit and Southeast Michigan, where he raised $5,000,000 to develop programming that contributed to the creation of 2,300 new jobs.
His corporate and civic accomplishments have been recognized by the German Marshall Fund, where he was a Marshall Memorial Fellow; the Aspen Institute, where he led delegations to coordinate business planning workshops with entrepreneurs in North Africa and the Middle East; the Atlantic Council, where he was selected to be a member of the Transatlantic Core Group; the BMW Foundation, where he is a member of its Responsible Leaders Network, and the Bosch Foundation, where he is a member of the Bosch Alumni Network.
Active Board Member
Committed to better jobs, an equitable distribution of opportunity and the social rights of underrepresented communities, Matt is an active board member for the:
- Urban Manufacturing Alliance,
- Culture Lab Detroit, and
- The Children’s Leadership Council of Michigan.
When Matt was an undergraduate student at MSU, he:
- Was elected for 2 consecutive years to serve as student body co-president and student liaison to the MSU Board of Trustees where he:
- Lobbied MSU Trustees to protect the MSU Tuition Guarantee,
- Preserved the $4000/student Michigan Merit Award,
- Initiated the push to update the MSU Anti-Discrimination Policy to extend protections to transgendered individuals,
- Realized university-wide permanent recognition of the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, and
- Advocated to protect funding for the Visual Impairment Program in the MSU College of Education.
Committed to progressive values, Matt and his spouse, Kim Clayson:
- Walked door to door campaigns,
- Raised tens of thousands of dollars for Democratic political candidates and Democratic causes, and
- Have committed many days and hours to serving to protect the vote on election day.
Matt look forward to bringing this experience and commitment to East Lansing and MSU as a MSU Trustee.